Sunday, August 2, 2009

Life Begins Today


I'm celebrating a new year in my life today and this is where life begins for me. If you still don't get the hint, yes, I'm now 40 and I thank the Lord for giving me such a wonderful life. I'm grateful for all the blessings, big and small, that I have received through the years. I consider myself lucky for having been born into a complete family with very supportive parents and siblings. Now that I'm a wife and mother, I'm thankful for having a great husband and children with whom I can share my life and for having a home-based job that I love. I can never be happier.

I've long been curious about the saying "Life begins at 40." All I knew then was that people who reach this age throw a big party to celebrate their birthday. But now that I'm a member of the club, I have a better understanding of what it means. Based on my research on the internet, the "Life begins at 40" saying refers to middle age considered to be a new stage of life. This is in reference to American writer W.B. Pitking who wrote a book with the same title.

Birthdays are a celebration of life and I guess when you turn 40, it's when you are able to look at life in a more positive light. It's when you are able to do things that will make you happy. It's when you've hurdled the most challenging years of marriage and starting a family. It's when you're more relaxed in life and enjoy watching your growing children.

There's this one study done in 2008 at the Queen's University of Belfast showing that growing old is actually a happier experience. Just as young people are enjoying their youth, so do the old folks. The difference is in the attitude towards health wherein the younger ones can be carefree about drinking and smoking and all those vices while the old folks have already changed their lifestyle for good.

So there's really nothing wrong with growing old and it's not a gloomy life as what some youngsters believe. Age does not matter as long as you enjoy every moment and do your best to live the life you want for you and your family. Cheers to many more years ahead!!

No comments:

Post a Comment