Friday, July 24, 2009

My Dream Job

It's been my dream to be able to work at home. This way, I can look after my kids and earn a living at the same time. This dream job finally came true almost three years ago. And now, I'm happy to just be working in front of my computer every day at home and earn my desired income. Not that I earn that much but when compared to working in an office and all the commuting that I need to do, I no longer want trade my current work setup.

My very first job was in the broadcast media industry. As I was starting out back in the early 1990s, I held varied positions from being a radio anchor for an AM station, a disc jockey for the FM station to a newswriter, radio newscaster and TV news reporter. It was a rewarding experience for me being able to apply all that I've learned in school and meeting different types of people from the celebrities and high ranking government officials to the ordinary citizens. Another benefit was being able to go to places I've never been before.

But being a journalist is no easy job. There are deadlines to beat and official holidays mean work as usual except only on Holy Thursday and Good Friday during the Lenten season. In other words, there were trade offs but then again, it didn't matter at that time. I was committed to doing good in my job and it all paid off.

As times goes by, though, we need to make changes in our lives. And for me, the major changes came after I got married. I had to move to another city and establish myself. Fortunately, I was able to land in another rewarding job still in the media but this time, the print media sector. With hard work, I was able to establish myself well which again contributed to my personal fulfillment.

My present home-based job is still connected to the media but now it's more high tech as my work is done through the internet. I'm still involved in information dissemination and writing and since this is my passion, I think I will do this for as long as I can.

It feels great to achieve the dream job that you want. You could call mine an early retirement option but I'm happy with what I'm doing and I won't trade it for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment